jwildfire.org

The official JWildfire forum
It is currently Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:28 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [27 posts ]  Go to pagePrevious123Next
PostPosted:Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:46 pm 

Maybe you can look back into openCL??? Please don't kill me Andreas!! lol
Maybe you can check out the code for fractorium with GPU??

PostPosted:Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:16 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I think the fractorium code would not help, but this is not the problem. In fact, I have a lot of own ideas of how to implement stuff in openCl, and I'm even interested in the topic. But, this would take a lot of effort, and I do not have enough spare time. If some more developer(s) would join, it would be possible, but I will not do it alone (and not sure what CozyG thinks about this) - and I do not see major importance.
Faster rendering as nice feature in first place for sure, but it will come to a swarm of new problems. So many people are not even able to maintain/install a java-runtime. When it comes to OpenCl we will open Pandora's box of driver problems. And when the drivers finally works (for a few weeks, until the next update), people will complain that they can only render small images because their gfx memory is too small. Ok, then we come to stripe rendering, which will lead to other problems etc. etc.

Recently, I did not have had much contact to Matt (the author of fractorium), but what I saw some months ago, he put a LOT effort into this stuff (a "men-year"? don't know). And it is "only" a port of the classic flam3-stuff and has no innovation to the flame-algorithm itself (from what I saw the last time when I saw fractorium, please forgive if there is now more).

So, maybe we could start some Kickstarter campaign for it - but without some substantial extent of resources (people, money) there can not be an openCl-version from my side.

Thanks for your understanding

PostPosted:Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:50 am 

If it is easy and only then make a preference to enable and disable progressive view in preferencrs for now. So if we want to use and test it further we will not have to go to beta. Point at it as highly experimental. It is somethin i like to use. Is it possible?

PostPosted:Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:30 pm 

Quote:
So, the current plan is: I will wait untill CozyG finishes the changes he wanted to include in the next release. I do not know how long this takes, but when he is ready before the new editing stuff is stable, I will turn it off for 2.60 and optimize it later.
I just committed the mobius_strip variation that I wanted to add. The other changes I'm working on aren't ready, and I'm not sure when they will be, so I think I've committed everything I'm going to get in before the release.

Thanks Andreas!

PostPosted:Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:26 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
I think the fractorium code would not help, but this is not the problem. In fact, I have a lot of own ideas of how to implement stuff in openCl, and I'm even interested in the topic. But, this would take a lot of effort, and I do not have enough spare time. If some more developer(s) would join, it would be possible, but I will not do it alone (and not sure what CozyG thinks about this) - and I do not see major importance.
Faster rendering as nice feature in first place for sure, but it will come to a swarm of new problems. So many people are not even able to maintain/install a java-runtime. When it comes to OpenCl we will open Pandora's box of driver problems. And when the drivers finally works (for a few weeks, until the next update), people will complain that they can only render small images because their gfx memory is too small. Ok, then we come to stripe rendering, which will lead to other problems etc. etc.

Recently, I did not have had much contact to Matt (the author of fractorium), but what I saw some months ago, he put a LOT effort into this stuff (a "men-year"? don't know). And it is "only" a port of the classic flam3-stuff and has no innovation to the flame-algorithm itself (from what I saw the last time when I saw fractorium, please forgive if there is now more).

So, maybe we could start some Kickstarter campaign for it - but without some substantial extent of resources (people, money) there can not be an openCl-version from my side.

Thanks for your understanding
My experience with OpenCL based rendering for fractal/IFS software has not been great. I've tried several different programs, on both OSX and Windows. With my hardware setups many of them crash, either before a render completes or immediately after a render finishes. I suspect driver issues, as Andreas mentions above. I've had a little more success with CUDA based rendering software, but every system I've tried has still been problematic in some way.

So yes, it would be great to have much faster rendering in JWildfire via a GPU-based pipeline. IF it worked on most people's machines. But the evidence I've seen suggests that compatibility across graphics cards and graphics drivers is too much of an issue for this to be currently feasible.

I do like the idea of a JWildfire Kickstarter campaign though!
Even though there's already a way to donate to Andreas for JWildfire development, I think a Kickstarter (or other online crowdfunding) campaign would have a much higher profile. I just don't think it should be tied to OpenCL rendering as a specific deliverable. There's plenty of other features to add. Maybe the goal could be JWildfire 3.0?

PostPosted:Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:51 pm 

Vista 32 bit, java8, 1024 mb for jwf, testing jwf2.60Beta5.
This is the first time I have been able to use the sliders with realtime response, and that's amazing! The editor flicker is a bit smoother but I really don't want it to update image unless I need that for fine editing. So far this version is much less stressful for eyes, though, so that is progress.
Problem: The triangles and graphs disappear off under a black screen on the right side of the editor window.
I have not been able to install any updates past 2.50 on MacBkPro SnowLeopard, and right now am having to make do with 2.23? 2.50 disappeared after Apple de-activated java7. I plan to try Yosemite on a different drive to see how things work with that (next week).
I have also noticed the darkness problem noted by Pentajazz. It eats time, very annoying and artistically troublesome.
But thanks to all of you 8-) who are programming and aiming for improvement for this superior program!

PostPosted:Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:08 pm 

Addition to 2.60 Beta5 problems..The FlameBrowser does not work. I suspect it is caused by something missing in Preferences, though I have checked and not found anything. I am opening th eprogram with start_windows.bat.

PostPosted:Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:29 am 

Quote:
Quote:
So, the current plan is: I will wait untill CozyG finishes the changes he wanted to include in the next release. I do not know how long this takes, but when he is ready before the new editing stuff is stable, I will turn it off for 2.60 and optimize it later.
I just committed the mobius_strip variation that I wanted to add. The other changes I'm working on aren't ready, and I'm not sure when they will be, so I think I've committed everything I'm going to get in before the release.
!

What changes are you working on Cozy?

PostPosted:Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:48 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Addition to 2.60 Beta5 problems..The FlameBrowser does not work. I suspect it is caused by something missing in Preferences, though I have checked and not found anything. I am opening th eprogram with start_windows.bat.
Works perfect on my side, and nothing has changed here.
What exactly is your problem?
Btw, a good reminder to remove start_windows.bat :-)

PostPosted:Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:49 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
If it is easy and only then make a preference to enable and disable progressive view in preferencrs for now. So if we want to use and test it further we will not have to go to beta. Point at it as highly experimental. It is somethin i like to use. Is it possible?
OK

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [27 posts ]  Go to pagePrevious123Next