jwildfire.org

The official JWildfire forum
It is currently Thu May 06, 2021 1:12 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: GUI glitches, bug?
PostPosted:Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:03 pm 

Since I built a new computer and installed JWildfire I have been having GUI glitches like the one in the screenshot below. I have spent many hours troubleshooting the problem, but since it sometimes happens 10 seconds or less after creating a new flame from scratch, or editing a randomized one, it's hard to point out exactly what causes this. Sometimes it takes minutes, and in a very few occasions up to an hour.

I have tried changing more or less every setting in JWF that I think could assist causing this issue. Tried different scaling (both font and UI), everything from 1024 MB memory to 16384 MB memory.

Yesterday I did notice one thing while I was working with a flame. There was one specific
event that caused the glitches everytime (otherwise they have seemed to be quite random). Clicking "Post Symmetry" and then "Symmetry Type". So I removed the properties files to reset all settings. I could suddenly click Symmetry Type without getting the glitches. So I started to make micro adjustments in settings again, and when I changed the theme from NIMBUS to AERO, the issue came back.

Thinking this was it, I kept the NIMBUS theme, and everything was working, for a couple of minutes, until I did something else, and it triggered again. How can different GUI's cause the same problem, but at different events?

I have tried v5.0.0, 5.5.0, 5.6.0 and the latest beta of 6.0.0, but all behave the same. I have tried different versions of JAVA as well, different video card drivers and so on. The reason for me thinking this is some kind of bug is because I don't have any other software on my computer behaving the same way. I have one other software using JAVA on my computer, VoxelShop, but I haven't been able to trigger this issue there.

My current rig:

ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero
Intel Core i9-10900K
128 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 (3600 MHz)
2 x ASUS Strix GTX 780 6 GB (the only thing I have left from my old computer)
2 x Seagate FireCuda 520 2 TB M.2
1 x Corsair Force MP510 SSD 4 TB M.2 NVMe

I think I can rule out the video cards as the problem, since JWildfire was working perfectly in my old rig.

I have more than advertised above, but it would be so much to write exactly everything. Does anyone have any input (preferrably a solution of course :)), or ideas what I can test next?

Could there be some old code in JWildfire that don't like my current computer setup? Anyone having a similar setup?
Attachment:
2020-07-30.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: GUI glitches, bug?
PostPosted:Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:40 pm 
Site Admin

Because JWildfire is based on Java (and does not access low-level layers of your system directly) I think there might be a problem with the java runtime on your system.
In fact, it may be very important which java version do you use.
My suggestion is to use Oracle Java version 8 (not OpenJDK).
Did you try this?

I do not know VoxelShop, but from the Screenshot I saw, it seems to use another UI stack (SWT) than JWildfire (Swing). SWT uses native widgets, while Swing is more platform-independant, so it is very different.

Good luck!

Post subject: Re: GUI glitches, bug?
PostPosted:Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:58 pm 
Site Admin

And in case you missed it: you must select the java-version to use in the launcher, only installing another version will not change the version which is actually used.

Cheers!